Aside from the many activities available on Harbor Island, the surrounding Beaufort area provides many additional attractions. Beaufort?s National Historic Landmark District, in the second oldest city in South Carolina, delights its visitors with its breathtakingly beautiful natural vistas and impressive architecture from the Colonial and Antebellum Eras. Beaufort remains the Queen of the South Carolina Sea Islands in its charm, natural beauty, fascinating history, and rich and diverse cultural heritage.
Other area attractions include the lighthouse, pier, and beaches of Hunting Island State Park. Located between Fripp Island and Harbor Island on US 21, this popular park is a large secluded barrier island with a historic 1859 lighthouse as its centerpiece and a semi-tropical abundance of plants and wildlife. The Hunting Island Light is the island's third lighthouse and is open to the public.
History is an area attraction, as omni-present as the Spanish moss draped over the limbs of the live oaks. The Penn Center, Parris Island Museum, and Beaufort Museum are but a few of the places for a visitor to begin. Between the natural beauty of the Fripp Island Lowcountry setting and all the first class amenities offered by the Fripp Island Club, you can enjoy many exciting activities without ever leaving the island.
- Historic Beaufort - Beaufort is the second oldest city in South Carolina [...]
- Area Dining - Serving fresh local seafood and Lowcountry favorites, in addition to delicious American, French, Continental, Mexican, Chinese and Italian fare, Beaufort has it all! [...]
- Area Shopping - Shopping is an activity which visitors enjoy, and Beaufortonians take pride in the eclectic and the upscale offerings in addition to regular retail opportunities providing necessities. [...]
- Area Events - Beaufort hosts a number of year-round events for the entire family. [...]
- Local Seafood - The Beaufort area is well known for it's marshes and waterways. Beaufort is even better known for it's huge population of shrimp and other fresh seafood. [...]
- Museums & Parks - Discover the beauty of our state parks and tour museums that explore the rich history of the South Carolina Lowcountry. [...]
- Other Attractions - Beaufort offers many other less advertised but equally appealing attractions. [...]